Friday, February 26, 2016

Let the Pi Day fun begin!



As you might already know, I'm a bit of a Pi Day fanatic. In Princeton they go all-out for the holiday, seeing as it's also Einstein's birthday, complete with pie-eating contests, pi-recitation contests, pi-shaped chocolates, pie-flavored ice cream, you name it! I personally don't participate in any of the contests, which means I usually celebrate by just eating a lot of fruit pie and pizza pie. And while that's clearly very fun, it's not actually related to the 3.14 version of the word.

Enter -- Yippi!

Last year my dad printed out the first 25 or so digits of pi on copy paper and set two dice on the kitchen table. The object of the game was to roll the dice, and cross off the numbers of pi as you rolled the corresponding digits. Over the course of the game we all came up with some simple rules, and Yippi! was born! This year I decided to turn our family game into a real dice game that other Pi Day fanatics could own & play for themselves! :)

The game comes with 25 Pi Cards (printed with the first 64 digits of pi), 2 dice, an instruction card, and a hand-stamped 5" x 7" muslin carrying case.



I say this a lot, but this is one of my favorite things I've ever worked on. I love seeing an idea come to life in such a tangible way -- starting out as sketches in a notebook, then digital designs on a computer screen, then assembling the final product. It's definitely a passion project (I doubt there's a really high demand for math-themed games) but those are usually my favorites. In fact, it's practically a statistical rule that my most-beloved creations hardly ever sell while my lesser-loved items are usually my best sellers.

However, if you're one of the rare souls who IS clamoring for a very fun, PI-not-PIE way to celebrate March 14th this year, my Yippi! game is available in my shop right here. Be sure to order soon in order to receive your game in time for Pi Day! :)